blogging the journey from single girl to married woman.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

in the case of an emergency

Everytime I tell people my wedding will be in January, they look like I just told them I was pregnant with Satan's child. They raise eyebrows, tilt heads and express great concern.

I know weddings create this mental picture of grass and flowers and trees but that's just not the kind of wedding I'm hoping to have. Where others want sun, I want cloudy skies. Where there would be green leaves, I want bare branches.

The big question people ask me is, "What will you do if it snows?" While my immediate reaction is to pose a similar question, "What will others do if it rains? If it's a heatwave? If it hails?" I've discovered (or rather my parents did) a nice, credible answer.

It's called WedSafe and for a minimal cost (minimal relative to the cost of the wedding), it provides you with insurance for your wedding day.

Here's an excerpt from the website:

"WedSafeEventCancellation / Postponement Plus coverage helps protect all you have invested in your wedding – now and throughout the planning period as you put down deposits, sign contracts, and make purchases.

It covers your wedding against extreme situations that might cause postponement (severe weather, accident, sudden illness) and against financial loss if the event goes on but you have a glitch along the way – no-show vendors, lost photographs, damage to the wedding gown, and more.

  • If you're worried about recovering your deposits if a vendor goes bankrupt or doesn't deliver as promised
  • If you're concerned that extreme weather or an unexpected illness or injury could force you to postpone
  • If the bride or groom is in the military and approved leave could be canceled"
My parents are planning on purchasing the insurance in the event of a blizzard but I would encourage all brides to take a look as well. While it won't cover a wedding canceled by the bride and groom because they hate each other, it will cover pretty much anything else that could go wrong on the big day.

The good thing about having a wedding in January is that there is no pressure. I am expecting, or rather, HOPING my day to be cloudy and cold, with a little bit of snow. Knowing my luck, however, I'll have the only warm and sunny day that January.

Maybe WedSafe can cover my wedding in the event THAT happens?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Everytime I tell people my wedding will be in January, they look at me like I just told them I was pregnant with Satan's child."

LOL. Classic.

Mary said...

Somehow people will always find something to raise their eyebrows at (or look at you like you're pregnant with Satan's child LOL). You just have to do what YOU want! And hope for flurries :)