blogging the journey from single girl to married woman.

Monday, September 28, 2009

flower shower

I know it's been forever since I've last posted but I have a legitimate excuse! Gianfranco bought me Sims 3 for our 2 year anniversary and if you've ever played the Sims, you'll know where the hours in my evening have gone.

So without further delay, I present the little details from Nancy's shower...

First, the invitation. If you've been following my blog you won't be surprised to know we ordered these cute "Here Come the Bridesmaids" invitations from Tickled Pink Design. Once again, I can't say enough about this place! The stationery is affordable and adorable and the customer service is great. Since February, I've already ordered 3 sets of invitations and have been really pleased with all of them. Below is a copy of the invitation that was framed by one of Nancy's mother's friend's. Look how cute!


Included with the invitation was this poem, which was (mostly) written by yours truly:

"Nancy will want her house to be spic and span
And in order to help, we've come up with a plan
Of a wishing well of items to pick up the dirt

Like sponges and dusters and Windex to squirt

Paper towels like Bounty or detergent like Tide
Will all be appreciated by our soon-to-be bride
So wrap it in tissue paper and your name do not spell
It's just a little something to wish Nancy well!"


To make her wishing well a little less traditional, I copied this creative idea from my sister's future sister-in-law's shower. We took a mop and stuck it upside down inside a hamper. I blew up a picture of Nancy's face and taped it to the mop so that the yarn looked like Nancy's hair (even though she's a brunette!). We also tied an apron around the mop to give the illusion of Nancy's body. It was quite a hit!



Next were the favors. Luckily for us, Nancy already knew she wanted lip balms so all we had to do was find the cheapest vendor. Danielle, Nancy's cousin and Maid of Honor, found us a great deal at Accent The Party. Definitely check them out!

Of course, these weren't her favors (those aren't their names!) but I wanted to give you an idea of what they looked like.



Nancy loves Gerbera daisies so we thought using them as a centerpiece would make our bride happy. I had seen a picture of gerbera daisies in a square vase with green lime slices floating around in the water. I fell in love. Unfortunately, these centerpieces didn't really fit in our budget so we decided to use tall vases from Ikea instead. We still added in the limes and for an extra effect, we placed them on round mirrors.

I think they came out really pretty!


Initially, I had suggested assigned seating for the shower. I thought flower chocolate lollipops would be a cute way of leading guests to their seats. In the end, my future mother-in-law decided against it (which she later regretted - so words of wisdom!) but we had already bought all of the ingredients so we made the lollis anyway.

Using flower molds, we first "painted" the inner circles with yellow chocolate and let them set. Once they were hard enough, we then filled in the rest of the flower with different colors - red, pink, orange and purple. We covered them in clear bags and stuck them in a long green styrofoam board. When we were originally conceiving this idea, we were going to glue fake grass on the foam board to give the illusion of a "garden" but since we were only going to hand them out at the end of the party, we decided it wasn't necessary. Either way, they still came out adorable and delicious!




Now if someone can show me how to upload files on Blogger, please let me know! I'd love to share the games we played: "Wedding Word Scramble," "Purse Pursuit" and "A Lesson In Nancy." If not, the first two can be easily found online and the last one is just a personal version of "How Well Do You Know the Bride?" We also found out how well Nancy knew Jay, her fiance, by asking him questions before the shower and seeing if Nancy could match them. For every right answer she gave, she got to kiss a blown up picture of Jay's face. For every wrong answer, she had to chew another piece of bubble gum. All in all, she did pretty well!

It was a great shower and all the hard work paid off. As I mentioned in my last entry, having all of the bridesmaids work together was really the key to success. Brainstorming, creating and executing everything is too much for just one person. I'm glad we didn't have to learn the hard way!

Stay tuned for more wedding plans...

No comments: