blogging the journey from single girl to married woman.

Monday, February 8, 2010

One style fits all?

I've finally begun searching for bridesmaid dresses and despite the anxiety I had about finding one dress to please all 8 of my girls, I'm pretty certain I found one that fit the bill.

My bridesmaids are all different shapes and sizes. Some are very short while others are pretty tall. Some have more curves than others. So I had no idea how I was going to find one dress that flattered each of their bodies when their bodies were so different.

So how did I do it? Two words.

Taffeta Ruching

I know, I know. Taffeta just screams "Ugly Bridesmaid Dress!" and I was pretty anti-taffeta myself. But I humored the dress consultant and I allowed my sister to try on the dress on the right below.



When my sister walked out, lo and behold, I was pleasantly surprised! The dress looked great and, according to her, felt really comfortable. She decided this dress was her favorite compared to the other satin ones she modeled.

But my sister is only one of 8 bridesmaids and while it looked fabulous on her, I needed to do more research. I brought in my roommate and future sister-in-law for their opinions. Both looked at the dress on the hanger, gave me a doubtful look, but tried on the dress anyway.

The verdict?

They loved it.

I would still like the approval of my remaining bridesmaids before I commit to it, but I am pretty certain they're going to feel the same way. The combination of taffeta and ruching seems to flatter most body types, which is not what I had expected at first look.

So the moral of the story? Try on dresses that you normally wouldn't have chosen and you just might find the dress you're looking for!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you will all look great!

Anonymous said...

It did look really beautiful on the girls!